Job Title: Family Nurse Practitioner Certified (FNP-C)
Report to: Medical Director, Medical Associate Director
Position Code: 00000310
ABOUT FOOTHILL COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER:
As a federally qualified health care center, Foothill Community Health Center (FCHC) provides primary and preventive healthcare services (medical, dental, and behavioral health) to the residents in the underserved area of East San Jose. FCHC’s mission is to help people by providing accessible, high-quality, comprehensive healthcare services to those in need, regardless of their ability to pay, national origin, or immigration status.
Provides specialized nursing services in the area that may include school based health care, women's health care, family planning, and primary care; does related work as required.
Considerable medical judgment is required to determine the appropriate procedure within scope of practice. The Nurse Practitioner requires an advanced level of competency in nursing through additional education or training as well as a Nurse Practitioner's license and prescriptive privileges. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Chief Medical Officer and the Director of Clinical Services who review work routinely. The Nurse Practitioner is responsible for providing guidance to Registered Nurses, Certified Nursing Assistants and Medical Assistants.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Position may involve duties which are not listed.
· Obtains and records client's health history; performs comprehensive physical assessment (including biological, social and psychological needs) as part of a total physical examination.
· Diagnoses, treats and plans appropriate health care for clients in the area of school based health care, women's health care, family planning, and primary care as appropriate for specialists; refers clients to physicians and/or outside agencies as required.
· Provides and prescribes medications within area of specialty.
· Performs laboratory procedures and interprets lab test results.
· Provides case management services for select clients.
· Provides group, individual and community education classes on birth control methods, sexually transmitted diseases and other health concerns.
· Establishes and maintains client’s electronic medical records and other necessary records.
· Provides in-service education classes on assigned responsibilities for nursing staff.
· Must be able to work at all applicable locations.
· Availability to work all operational hours as needed.
· Other tasks and projects as assigned by supervisor, manager and/or director.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Problem Solving
• Ethics Organizational Support
• Quality , Quantity
• Safety and Security
• Adaptability ,Dependability ,Initiative
Thorough knowledge of nursing techniques and procedures; medical and lab equipment and testing procedures; medication; Considerable knowledge of interviewing and counseling techniques.
Ability to work independently; communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; deal tactfully and patiently with clients; establish and maintain records, reports and statistical data; use initiative and judgment; maintain effective working relationships with other related agencies; professionals and citizen groups; perform and record total physical examination; obtain vaginal, cervical, urethral and rectal cultures, papanicolaou smears, and other laboratory specimens appropriate.
Skill in diagnostic procedures for diseases and the drug therapy needed for treatment of these medical conditions. Must be proficient in the use of medical and laboratory equipment.
Nurse Practitioner: Requires a current license from the California Board of Registered Nursing, a national certification from the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners or other national certifying bodies, and a certificate of completion of a Nurse Practitioner Program with a minimum of 2 years clinical experience.